Saturday, June 18, 2011

We're Off To See The Wizard

Day 17: Bokeh


Bo-what?  Bokeh.  If you are totally clueless like me here is the wikipedia link to the definition of bokeh.  So basically, it is a picture that is in focus and blurry at the same time.  Challenging to figure out.  But really fun because I got an early birthday present today.... an new DLSR camera (Nikon D5100).  I am super excited about it.  Still trying to figure it out.  Also trying to stop my Favoritest from playing with it while taking unflattering pictures of me.  It has lots of settings and buttons and stuff.  I already love it!  I am sure you can guess what I spent the afternoon doing!  
So, once I played a little, it was time to figure out the bokeh shot.  From my extensive (10 minutes) worth of research, I figured out I needed something similar to Christmas tree lights, an object to shot, and something in the background.  I played around with several light sources because I had no intentions of getting into holiday bins in the middle of June.  After lots of failed attempts, I realized my Madame Alexander dolls had all three elements.  The curio cabinet has it's own light source, the mirrors and glass help it to resemble twinkling lights, and I had a subject, and background.  If you know me, you know I have enjoyed collecting these dolls over the years.  I got my first MA for my 10th birthday.  The most recent (the Wicked Witch you can see in the background) was a holiday gift from my Favoritest.   I have over 20 of them.  Someday, I hope to add the the collection by giving them to Doodle.

No comments:

Post a Comment