Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Little Dirt on the Wheels

Day 21: Micro


As a parent do you ever  have those moments where you are convinced this thing that lives in your house is so unlike you that they couldn't possibly belong to you?  I am not even talking genetics.  I am just talking about habits and behaviors that our kids pick up from those around them.  Logically one would assume they would develop habits and behaviors like their parents.  But kids aren't logical creatures.  Which brings me to today's photo.  
This is an up close and personal picture of the wheel of Doddle's doll stroller.  Mind you, dolls never grace its' seat.  That special spot is reserved for Ming-Ming and Tuck.  Tonight we took the whole gang for a walk.  Doodle wanted to take her "little stroller".  She was running up the hill when she stopped in her tracks, squatted down, pointed and the wheel and cried "Mommy, what had  happened?"  It took me a few minutes to realize she was talking about the dirt that had collected on the wheel.  It rained earlier and the sidewalk had lots of dirt and leaves and mess on it.  She wanted me to wipe it off with a wash cloth.  I convinced her to walk on, and most of it fell off.  However, on the return trip down the hill the same thing happened.  She was devistated.  Her prized ($10 from Target ) "little stroller" had a dirty wheel.  I managed to get her and the stroller home without having to carry any one and as soon as we walked in the door she wanted a wash cloth to clean the wheel.  I opted for a quick rinse in this sink.  Doddle was happy.  


The world was right again.  But it sure did get me thinking about this kid that spends so much time with me.  There are moments when I know exactly where she picked up a habit or behavior.  Her recent sassy tone of voice, I know is a total impersonation of me when I am fussing at her.  This need for things to be clean.... I don't know where it comes from.  It doesn't matter if it is her hands, her feet, her toys... she doesn't like them to be dirty.  She doesn't like to paint or use glue, because you might get sticky.  She wants a wet wash cloth at the table to keep her hands clean!  If you know me, you know what a conundrum this is for me.  I am not a neat person.  I don't put things in the right place, and I certainly like to get my hands dirty working on a project.  I guess it just goes to show that nature and nurture are in constant battle!  


PS
I had a hard time picking between the picture of the wheel and this stunning (in my humble opinion) picture of a neighbor's flower.  A gardener I am not, so I have no clue what it is.  I do know that I managed to get 2 bugs inside the flower!

No comments:

Post a Comment