Monday, July 30, 2012

Date With the Devil

So in case you missed the original plan involved in this whole Pitty move, let me refresh.
Parents arrive July 1st.- check
My Favoritest starts new job in Pitty July 2- check
My Favoritest returns home for Sadie's scheduled arrival on July 9- check
I come home from hospital healthy and only doped on on percocet- check
My Favoritest returns to Pitty July 15- check
The next part of the plan invovled a quick check in at the doctor's office the day before the movers.  This is where the plan went down hill fast!
I had been having a headach for about 4 days.  It wasn't a horrible headache, it got better with medicine, and let's face it, I was under a lot of stress.  Given all this, I had decided it was just a headache and nothing to be worried about.  So, when I went to the doctor's office for a quick blood pressure check and incision check, I was really expecting a 10 minute visit.  
The visit was 10 minutes, because that's all the time it took for them to determine my blood pressure was through the roof high.  The nurse practitioner sent me home and said she would call after talking to the doctor in the office that day.  I barely made it home before she called telling me to go to the hospital for labs.  Then, before I could even process that information, she called back and told me to go to the ER.  Now I was in a panic!  I called My Favoritest and told him to get back as quickly as he could.  
After a short germy wait in the "quiet room" of the ER (Where we overheard discharge instructions that included "do not drink and ride your bicyle any more", serious vomiting, and got to hear about a mans 3 week battle with constipation) we got put in a room on the pediatric side of the ER.  Sometimes, there are perks to the fellow lifestyle.  One of My Favoritest's coworkers got us put back on the peds side.  When OB came down to see me, they basically said they thought given my history and the symptoms that I was having pre-eclampsia.  They wanted to admit me and treat me with magnesium which will now be referred to as the devil's drug.   If you have never had the pleasure of this medicine, give a shout out to God saying thanks right now.  It is awful.  The minute it starts, you entire body begins to feel hot.  And by entire, I mean from the tips of your toes to the tips of your teeth.  It feels like you are laying on an electric blanket on a desert island at high noon.  And that is just the start of the fun.  The devil's drug relaxes all your smooth muscules, so your whole body feels like jelly.  They won't let you get out of bed.  This means a catheter.  Yippeee!  It also means that the strenght it takes to lift a fork to your mouth isn't worth the effort given the crappy food they bring you.  And if this isn't enough fun, there is the constant monitoring of vital signs.  This goes on for 24 hours.  It sucks the big one!  By the time the devil's drug was done running, my arm was bruised from all the bp checks and I was exhausted.
Did I mention that this all started the day before the movers were coming to pack our house?  that's right!  Chaos!  On that end of my life, My Favoritest got home late Thursday night and was there to help Bubbie with the girls and the movers Friday morning.  Lucky for us,I had already planned on sending Doodle down the street to play.  We are so lucky to have the friends and neighbors that we do.  The packers packed the house and when I arrived home from my second hospital stay, they were busy loading the truck. Definitely not the plan I had made.  But, at least we were all safe and happy and healthy!


July 19 

July 20
This is what the Devil's drug does to you.  Makes you look like a crack head who needs a fix!


1 comment:

  1. I was on mag the 24 hours after Caleb was born and I seriously don't remember any of it- except for when I first held him- I guess the enormity of that was able to fight through the magnesium haze. so sorry. praying pitty gets better :)

    ReplyDelete