Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Tucked Tails and Feathered Nests

I have come to the time to discuss the move, and farewells.  I had this image of a picture of the girls sitting on the steps in front of our house.  I imagined pictures of the boxes with a baby sleeping on top.  I wanted to remember the move for the girls, and I wanted that time to be sappy for my self.  Well, pre-eclampsia had another thing in mind.  I totally missed the packing phase of moving.  In fact, I didn't even come home to my own house after leaving the hospital.  We all took up residence at Sisterwife's house.  She and the fam were out of town, so we had plenty of space.  I was to exhausted to tromp the girls down the hill to take my nastolgic picture.  In fact, I was so wiped out that I pretty much bypassed saying good bye to everyone.  Truth be told, I am glad Sisterwife and the fam were out of town and that we missed out on saying good bye.  I would have lost it.  I know I would have lost it because this is how my conversation with Landlord went

Me: I'm coming by to drop of the keys and give you a hug, but I can't do a real goodbye
LL: I'll be prepared
Me: (while hugging LL and crying like a baby) Thanks for being our VA family!  We love you guys!
LL: (unable to talk through tears so just hugs me tighter)
Me: If we don't stop hugging the neighbors will think we are lesbians
LL: (laughing while wiping tears from her face)
Me: by the way since you are no longer our landlord, your offical blog name will be Speed Racer
LL: Okay
And with that I walked back to the car and lost it.  I sobbed out loud.  I don't think I could have done that twice.  I also don't think I could have kept my cool in front of Doodle.  This way she wasn't present for my blubbering goodbye.   After my quick escape, I looked at this picture I took of Doodle at her last day of dance and it pretty much summed up my cowardly goodbyes.  I tucked my tail and ran!

July 16 (362/365)

So now that I have shown you how I failed at goodbye, I do have a deep thought to share.  It's a bit of a story, so bear with me.  When Sisterwife lived next door to us, each spring a bird would build a nest on the wreath on their front door.  I know it wasn't the same bird each year (because frankly what bird would be dumb enough to build their house on a door that is frequently opened year after year) but I liked knowing that each spring, I would need to be warry of the protective mama bird if I went to Sisterwife's front door.  It was a little strange this spring when there wasn't a nest on the door.  There was a nest in a nearby tree, but it just wasn't the same.  Anyway, while we were staying at Sisterwife's house, I happened to look up in the corner of the front porch and saw this

July 23 (1/365)
It made me think of the bird on the front door.  And that reminded me that home is truely where ever you are.  If you can "feather your nest" with the people you love most in the world, home can be anywhere.  I am reminding myself that if I choose to be positive about the Pitty, then hopefully I will come to think of it as another home.  I have to make our nest a happy, positive place for our girls.  Doodle will look to me and her daddy to see how to handle this giant change in our lives, and I want her to see the postive side of moving and not be too heart broken.  It is challenging and it is hard, but I have my family and that is all that matters right now!

2 comments:

  1. Izz and Sadie are very lucky to have a military brat for a Mom. You can certainly iron out the rough spots for them because you have already lived them.
    And by the way, Jenny used to dance in the mirror...but she always took her clothes off first. Why, you ask? I still have no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, great job! I talked and talked about throwing one more big bash at a vineyard for the entire housestaff org but as time came closer I knew that if I did I would just cry (and drink) the entire time so I just had to let it go and say goodbye as few times as possible. I understood for the first time why I had gotten emails in years past and not in person visits from other wives moving on to the next training program. It's interesting isn't it, how we think we will handle something and how we actually do it :)

    ReplyDelete