Friday, July 13, 2012

Links to the Past

Being a military brat, I have learn that home is more a feeling than a place.  I have learned that items and things hold the sentimental value that childhood homes hold for many people.  In some ways, this is a great gift.   I can bring my "home" with me where ever I go.  That thought leads me to this picture and story.  
Around the time I turned 10, my Grandma Mantel died.  I was pretty devastated.  Although she lived in Chicago and we lived in South GA, we had a wonderful relationship.  She would come and stay with us for the entire winter.  And we usually spent a week or so in Chicago each summer.  I can still remember what her apartment building looked like.  There was a really cool fountain in the lobby.  Her apartment had coffee candies on top of the microwave.  The spare bedroom (where Hank and I slept) had to recliners, a built in book shelf, and a tv.  I will always remember waking up in those chairs and  snuggling into the feather pillows and our covers to watch Bozo the Clown.  


After the funeral, all the grand children got to pick something special to us to take from Grandma's apartment.  I took a feather pillow.  Bubbie asked me several times if I was sure that was what I wanted.  It was totally what I wanted.  We didn't have feather pillows at our house.  And this one smelled like the cedar chest Grandma kept it in.  So the pillow is what I took.  I also took some small figurines that lived on the shelves in that spare room as well (I hope to put some in the girls rooms once we get settled).  But the pillow was my link to my grandmother.  


And somehow, it became part of my story.  My past, and present linked together.  I took the pillow everywhere with me.  It has been there for the highs and lows in my life.  I was holding it when I opened my acceptance letter to college.  I cried when I thought I lost it in France.  I am sure I slept with it the night before I got married.  It went with me to hospital when Doodle was born.  Over the years it has aged.  I know it is gross.  It is not even comfortable for sleeping.  But I will not throw it away and I always keep it in bed.  It is my link to my grandmother.  So as I packed my last minute things for the hospital, I slipped my pillow into my regular pillowcase. 


As I took these pictures of Sadie Jane, I couldn't help but think how pleased my grandma would be to know that I have 2 beautiful daughters.  I still miss her, 24 years later, but I know that she is watching over my little family with a smile on her face!
July 11 (357/365)
And one more up close so you can see that sweet little face!

4 comments:

  1. Love this!! Especially sine we JUST talked about this story recently!! I also love that you watched Bozo the Clown as a child -- yay Mid-West!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Sadie is adorable. I remember when you were just a doll running around barefoot. Mazel Tov to all of you. Your blog is great so keep sharing your thoughts. There are people out here interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia! We are definitely enjoying our newest addition. Hope you are all doing well!

      Delete
  3. I am glad that you have such wonderful memories of grandma. She would be so proud of you and The lovely daughter,woman and mother you have become. I love you!

    ReplyDelete