Sunday, July 8, 2012

Derecho Interruptus

So Friday June 29 started off like any other day around here.  We hung out, had fun regular stuff.  We planned a family date night since it would be our last chance as a family of 3.  We had a pretty good time out together.  The weather was hella-hot, but skies were clear and the air was stagnantly still.  Because of the date night activities, we got home late and Doodle didn't go to bed until a little after 9:00.  All of this is important.  Why you ask?  Because a mere 45 minutes later our little part of the world was hit by a derecho storm.  Go ahead, click on the link.  I had no idea what it was either.  But to say it came out of nowhere is an understatement.  The ONLY reason we knew something was going on outside was because we lost power.  And that is where the story gets fun! 


Since the winds were scary (like deciding between bathtub and closet sleeping scary), we gathered Doodle and the Pup-Pups and headed to the downstairs bed room.  Somehow our kid amused herself in on room, without being scared for 2 hours until the storm died down and we forced her to sleep on a pallet of blankets on the floor.  My Favoritest and I went to sleep and hope to wake to power in the morning.  No such luck.  Not only was there no power but we had limited cell service.  Normally not a problem, but Bubbie and Zayde were on their way to our house and we couldn't get in touch with them. 


So we stayed home and waiting.  I have to tell you at this point in the adventure I was actually enjoying a techno free day.  The house was quiet, Doodle played with toys, I read the giant stack of magazines.  Life wasn't too bad.  But it was getting hotter, and I was officially 38 weeks pregnant.  The rumor mill started flowing and we were hearing estimates of 2-3 days before power was to be restored.  And oh by the way there was a nation wide heat wave starting.  GREAT!!! Finally B&Z arrived and we headed to Waynesboro in hopes of securing a little air conditioning and a hotel.  After 2 hours sitting in the Chick Fil A and calling every hotel within a 50 mile radius we were without a hotel.  Luckily My Favoritest remembered that one of his attendings has a guest house that they rent out.  He gave Dr. Dan a call and discovered that the guest house was available for 1 night only.  B,Z, Doodle and I packed our stuff and headed out the door.  My Favoritest stayed at the sweat lodge with the pup-pups.  As we walked into our house for the night, Doodle immediately found the puzzles on the toy shelf.  All I saw was 24 piece puzzles similar to ones we had a home.  I encouraged her to pick out a puzzle, and then started talking to Dr. Dan's wife.  BIG MISTAKE!  When I turned around again, I realized Doodle had found a wooden puzzle with at least 200 pieces and dumped it on the floor.  We had no clue what the picture was, which way it went in the tray, but now had the joy of putting it back together.  So this is how Bubbie and Zayde and I spent our evening.


Turns out it was a picture of a unicorn in the mountains with a lovely castle behind it!  Needless to say once we got it put back to gather it went on a high shelf!


Following our restful night in the guest house, we headed back home to say good bye to My Favoritest and the pup-pups as they were leaving for the Pitty (as previously planned).  After they hit the road, we all headed back to Waynesboro.  Landlord had called and let us know that The Best Western who had been without power the day before had power restored and was going to be taking reservations starting around 3:00.  Never one to follow the rules, I called immediately (around 10:45) and was told to call back in an hour.  At 11:45 I secured us 2 rooms filled with chilled air.  We returned to the sweat lodge to gather more supplies.  We got settled at the BW and took a nap.  When I woke up I had 4 missed calls from landlord.  The only voice message was asking for a huge favor.  I figured they had given up on their own sweat lodge accommodations too late and there were no rooms left, and were hoping to bunk down with us.  When I called Landlord back, she confirmed that was the original request, but that they managed to get the very last room at the BW.  This was great news.  It mean party time for Doodle, Eldest, and Youngest.  


We all enjoyed a lovely bread filled dinner at Outback.  I am pretty sure the girls each at a loaf of that delicious stuff.  We then returned to the BW and got the girls suited up.  Bubbie and I went to Target for a few things and left Doodle with her Zayde to head to the indoor pool for a pool party with Eldest and Youngest.  By the time I returned, Doodle had tired of the pool and was upstairs waiting for her friends to come by for a marshmallow snack.  As a result, I have no pictures of their pool fun.  Also as a result of the lateness and wetness of the snack time I have no picture of that either.  But, I promise fun was had by all (except the poor folks in the room below us). 


July 1 (346/365)
The next day we decided to gather food supplies for the hotel so we would only have to eat dinner out.  At this point they were estimating another 3-5 days before power would be restored.  After a trip to the store we came back to the BW and had a lunch picnic hotel style!
July 2 (347/365)
As we tucked Doodle into bed (on time for once in this whole adventure) we got word that power had been restored.  Zayde and I headed back to the house to check that all was working well.  I assumed that when I returned 45 minutes later Doodle would be fast asleep and  I could fire up the computer and blog/facebook away.  Instead I returned to a wide eyed kid in the middle of a king size bed!  I laid down with her and tried getting her to go to sleep, but something gave us both a case of the giggles.  She laughed so hard she got the hiccups.  I sent her next door to tell Bubbie about the situation.  Bubbie offered to give her some sugar for the hiccups.  As Bubbie poured half a packet of sugar into her mouth the look on her face was priceless.  Remember my kid doesn't like frosting!  She was horrified!  Bubbie and I were laughing so hard we almost got the hiccups.  Needless to say this whole sleep situation was now out of control.   Bubbie tried laying down with her in hopes that she would calm down.  It didn't work:) The kid didn't pass out until almost 11:00!

The next morning we ate our continental breakfast and got ready to leave.  As we walked out to get the cars, Doodle was investigating the motorcycles parked under the covered drive way.  When I left her, she was holding Bubbie's hand.  When I returned a short 2 minutes later, this is what I found.
July 3 (348/365)
My kid had turned into a biker!  She was so excited.  We count motorcycles every day as we drive around town so she was really thrilled to get to sit on one.  

Because of all the weather and power issues the 4th of July went the way most holidays have during this pregnancy.  We pretty much ignored it.  I will admit, I was really sad.  The 4th has become one of my favorite times with our friends since we moved to VA.  We all sit around eat ourselves sick, the kids play, the boys drink.  It's great.  But due to the black out Sisterwife and Landlord were both out of town.  The parade and fireworks were cancelled earlier in the week, and it was just hard to get in the spirit.  So this is all I have you.
July 4 (349/365)

Happy Birthday America from the inside of my washing machine:)




No comments:

Post a Comment