Saturday, June 23, 2012

Show Day

Oh Little Gym, how do I love thee?  Let me count the ways:)  Doodle has been going to TLG since we moved to VA.  Over the last 3 years she has learned lots of useful skills and had lots and lots of fun.  We celebrated 2 birthdays at the gym and countless hours of fun.  The better share of her time at the gym has been spent in Parent/Child classes.  I loved going with her.  Loved the time to focus on her.  And loved watching her grow and discover new skills and things she could do.
Recently she started going to the big kid class by herself.  I will admit, it was a bit of a joy/sad moment.  I was thrilled to have an hour to hang out with my mom friends while the kids went to class.  I will also admit that I was a little sad to give up that time with her.
The end of the session came and along with it was Show Day.  In the past, Show Day hasn't been much different than a regular day at the gym.  I had been there with her and knew what she could do.  I have also been to school shows and seen her shy bug come out.  So, I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much of a show from her.  Boy was I wrong!  Straight out of the gate, I could tell she was pumped!

June 1 (316/365)




That kid remembered her "batinis" or routines to the rest of us.  She did skills that normally would have terrified her.  She showed confidence that I often see one on one with her but that she rarely puts on display.  At each station of the gym the grin of pride on her face got bigger and bigger.  She knew she was doing good and showing off.  It was a joy to watch her!
Doing an arabesque on the beam that terrified her a few months ago

Flipping on the bar and actually keeping her grip!


Jumping off the mountain (that she climbed up)


Hanging from the bar

At the very end of the class each child got a medal.  She was so proud of herself.  And I was so proud of her.  It was also one of the first times that I had very little to do with her accomplishment.  She did it on her own. She made the choices.  She was self motivated.  That made my heart sing even louder and sweeter!  Beth, Cecily, and Sarah can convince that kid to do just about anything!  We are going to miss you guys tons and Doodle has already asked if there is a Little Gym in Pixburb.  And although I know there is one, I don't think they could ever hold up to the standard she now has!
Getting her medal
And in case you haven't gotten enough of her, here is a little video clip of her giant climb!













No comments:

Post a Comment