Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lip Picker

Almost 30 years ago my family moved to Valdosta, Ga.  When we moved, my parents made friends with people who would eventually become our family.  This friendship allowed me to grow up with the feeling of Aunts, Uncles, and cousins close by.  All of our blood family was in Chicago/Indiana at the time.  Aunt Debbie, Uncle Marvin, Page, and Ben became our second family (and by extension, all their extended family became ours too).  When we were kids, you couldn't convince us that we were NOT related somehow.  And in our defense, we do all favor one another.  On a recent Sunday morning, I snapped this picture and had to send it to Page.


May 10 (294/365)
If you know Page at all, you know why I had to send it to her.  Lip picking is her trademark fidget.  Somehow, it has become Doodles newest pastime.  I think my text said something like "are you sure we don't share any genetic material?"
The picture got me thinking about how lucky I am to have this extended family.  There is so much to be said for having friends who know your history and your past.  Friends who are there to share your hardships and laugh at your celebrations.  We are grown, have children of our own, busy lives, and live far apart, but there is a history that connects us to each other.  A history that makes a random text perfectly acceptable.  
As we move ever closer to moving day,  I have been thinking a lot about my circle of friends and how important they are to me as I make my way in the world.  Just to warn you that there will be many a sappy post coming your way on this subject.  This has also reminded me how grateful I am that my parents taught me the value of maintaining friendships, and that they made every effort to allow me to hold onto friends.  It is a value that I hope to pass on to Doodle as we make this first "memorable for her" move.  I hope that when she is in her mid-thirties, she can look back on her childhood friendships with the same nostalgic fondness that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment