Friday, June 22, 2012

Graduation

Sadly this will be my last post singing the praises of Doodle's preschool.  The school year has come to an end and graduation is all done.  In preparation for the end of the year, I wanted to do something special for the teachers and staff that have made MSP so special to us.  And by special, I mean I wanted something that Doodle helped me to make and create and give.  I decided on a craft project and a baking project.  For the craft project I made a conscious effort to use things I had around the house (part of the use don't pack plan).  I happened to have some small 4x4 wrapped canvases and acrylic paint.  I also had some fancy Martha Stuart brand painters tape in different width.  
I asked Doodle who she wanted to make a present for at school.  She chose her teacher, the director, the aide, and her teacher from the previous year.  I had her help me figure out the first letter of each of their names and then I made that letter using the painter's tape.




Then I devised a paint brush/stamper of sorts.  Please remember that Doodle doesn't like to be dirty or messy.  Soooo I have to find other ways for her to be crafty without fighting her about paint on her hands.  I came up with sponge squares and bulldog binder clips. ( I also used some round daubers that I had laying around the house, but didn't have enough of those to satisfy my colorful artist)


Once we had the tools worked out, I got the paint and put it on a plate.  My original plan was to have Doodle stamp 2 colors and try to cover the entire canvas.  To my surprise, she got into the painting thing and stamped, drug, pressed, and mixed the paint on the canvas.  They didn't turn out as I had imagined, but she did have lots of fun doing it:)
May 29 (313/365)
Once we had all 4 canvases painted, we had to wait and let them dry.  Thankfully this was nap time so the wait wasn't painful.  



Once Doodle woke up, we got busy peeling the tape off the canvases.  She was very patient and helped me do this part too!
Here's a picture of the finished product.  I ended up adding a little black puffy paint to outline the letters.  That was really the only part that Doodle didn't help me do.  They weren't beautiful on the outside, but the love and hard work made them beautiful to the recipients (I hope).

Part two of our gift plan was to make some yummy pound cakes for all 4 of the teachers.  Doodle loves to bake so she didn't need any encouragement to help me out in the kitchen:)

May 30 (314/365)
So, gifts were made and graduation day was upon us.  I will admit, I cried.  Not because she graduated from one class to the next.  I cried because I knew that it was the first of many goodbyes that we will have to say in the coming weeks.  In order to save face, I pretty much tucked my head and ran out the door!  Here are a few pictures of Doodle and her friends!
May 31 (315/365) 
Doodle shaking hands with Pastor Neil 

While she has grown up and grown out of many things while at MSP, she has yet to get over things being too loud!  The music to the slide show was a little loud on the stage, so of course Doodle closed her ears:)
The best picture I got of our little grad:)

After graduation we went to Applebees with some of Doodle's Bluebirds:)

As we head onto new schools, new teachers, and new friends, I will always hold a special place in my heart for MSP.  They gave this stay at home mom a chance to be alone a couple times a week.  They helped me to be a better mom because I got some time to myself.  They helped me to be a better wife because I wasn't at my whits end every single day when My Favoritest got home.  They helped me have the energy to do fun and creative things with Doodle. Around here there aren't many preschools that take 2 year old.  We were lucky enough to find them!


1 comment: