Sunday, June 3, 2012

Berry Odd

A couple of weeks ago I got a call from my friend Amy.  I was walking in the door and quickly asked if I could call her back.  She said she had been at the strawberry patch near our house and had way to many berries.  She wanted to drop some off.  I told her to bring it on!  I have to share a bit about Amy.  She has 3 boys and the oldest is a week older than Doodle.  Her husband is in residency and works more hours than I can even fathom.  Over our 3 years here, Amy and I have learned that we can call one another to vent, complain, laugh, and commiserate.  We don't see each other often.  That makes me sad.  What makes me even more sad is that while I am moving to the "steel arm pit of the US" as Amy so lovingly called it, she is moving to what I imagine is the garden of Eden, Aukland New Zeland.  Even though we don't see each other regularly, I love knowing that her support and understanding of our crazy lifestyle is only a text or phone call away.  Being on the opposite side of the planet, makes that a little more complicated.  Lucky for us we life in the era of Facebook, FaceTime, and Skype.  Also, lucky for me, when I am up at 3:00 AM feeding Sadie Jane, she will be sitting down for dinner.  Having moved around all my life, I know that if the effort is made, friendships can last time and distance.  And who knows, maybe I'll find a cheap plane ticket to NZ:)  Anyway, enough about sad stuff.  Here is the picture that made me think of Amy.  As she handed me over the flat of berries she told me she could not be held responsible for the quality of the berries picked.  She had 2 of the three AJ's (her sons) helping her pick.  As I put the berries up, I found some not so good ones, and I also found lots of tasty fresh strawberries.  I also found this gem of a mutant berry!  


May 2 (286/365)

1 comment: