Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Boot Camp.... Failure!

For weeks we discussed the end of diapers at our house.  They were going in the trash after we came home from the Little Gym on Friday!  That was the plan.  Well, Doodle woke up with a fever that morning, and ever the determined preggo mom, I decided to carry on with the plan and just start early.  What followed was the longest stretch of parenting in my life! 

At the end of day one, this was the pile of panties and pants that came out of the laundry.  Mind you we started at 10:00ish and she had a diaper for naps.  Not so successful!  But, I was committed.  My Favoritest on the other hand said he would rather take neurosurgury call that subject himself to another day of potty boot camp.

February 10 (204/365)
Day two, I decided to amp up the reward.  Doodle loves to bake.  I tried to bribe her with the promise of making and eating a cake.  It seemed to be working.  She stayed dry most of the morning.  When she peed in the pot, she got a piece of cake..... that she said she didn't like!  But, things we looking up.  Then within a matter of an hour she had no less than 3 accidents.  We took her pants away.  Big mistake.  That kid hates to be nekkie, even half nekkie!  She cried and screamed.  We put her to bed.  When she awoke we both made a promise. No more fussing and no more crying.  The after noon went much better.
February 11 (205/365)
The next morning we were back at it again.  I was beginning to feel like it was never going to work.  We kept at it.  She had lots of accidents.  I began to question my instinct.  Is she ready? Does she not get it? Or is she totally fucking with us?  I didn't have the answers,  but we plugged on.  By the end of the day, we were all exhausted, including the dogs.

February 12 (206/365)
Monday found me left alone with 2 dogs, a kid, and a whole lotta trips to the potty.  She finally seemed to be getting the hang of this.  Or, I was getting better at reminding her.  It was exhausting, but she stayed dry until just before her bath.  No photographic proof, but things were genuinely looking up.  

Valentine's Day arrived, and she stayed dry all day at school!  She stayed dry all afternoon at home.  She even stayed dry for a family date night at the mall!  I was psyched!  I was exhausted.  But thinking we were making progress.
Notice the panties peeking out!
Well, the next day all Hell broke loose.  Or should I say all pee broke loose.  She had 2 accidents at school.  She is only there for 3 hours.  She came home and had 2 more accidents before lunch.  The third accident resulted in me loosing my temper and doing everything I swore I would never due.  That was followed by lots of hormonal tears on my part.  Pretty much I cried the entire evening about how mean I had been.  And this is how the potty boot camp experience ended....
February 15 (209/365)
Hello Diapers My Old Friend!!!!!  We quit.  I didn't like the mommy I was becoming and decided diapers weren't worth our happiness.  We will try again another time!  


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I so know your pain. We started potty training last February. Once Collin came, that one on one time potty training actually won Sarah over with it.

    ReplyDelete