Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The CLAW!!!

Before I begin this tale, I will admit.  I am my mother's daughter.  I am klutzy.  I randomly injure myself.  I know this about myself.  There isn't much I can do about it besides to abstain from high risk activities.  However, somethings like cooking just have to happen when you are a wife and mother without a million dollar annual income.  So, that begins the tale of The Claw!  
I was cooking dinner on our anniversary (mistake #1).  I was cooking chicken that started on the stove, went in the oven and then back on the stove (mistake #2).  I took the skillet out of the oven and then took the chicken out of the skillet so I could mix the sauce up.  Then enter Doodle chatting it up.  Me telling Doodle to get out of the kitchen and that I am trying to cook dinner.  As words come out of my mouth, I reach down to grab handle of skillet and stir sauce.  Immediately realize handle is burning the crap out of my hand, and drop skillet filled with salsa and cream cheese sauce all over kitchen floor.  Begin screaming at Doodle to get out so she doesn't get hot food on her.  Enter my Favoritest.  Flowers in hand.  Me over sink with cold water running over my hand.  Beagle licking hot food off floor.  Beagle coughing and choking because he burned mouth.  Happy Anniversary!  I spent the next couple of hours with my hand in cold water.  If I took my hand out of water, it was back on fire.  Being preggo, I could only take tylenol.  The pain was horrific.  We woke Doodle up and dropped her at Sisterwife's house and headed to the ER.  Several hours and a couple of percocets later, we were home.  It was only a 1st degree burn, but I was told to keep it covered in neosporin and gauze until the blisters healed.  And so The Claw was born!

March 13 (237/365)
I was surprised to find all the things that are challenging about having a claw!  Doodle had no pony for several days.  Half of my body was without lotion.  And I don't even want to talk about the challenges of one handed shaving combined with an ever expanding belly!  Most challenging of all was planning meals. I could chop anything and I didn't want to have to handle much raw meat.  We ate out the night after the incident and the next night we had pizza with Jayburb after our ultrasound, so I had avoided the dinner dilemma for a few days.  But a house wife's gotta do what she's gotta do!  So I planned to make my ghetto fabulous meatball subs.  It involves frozen garlic cheese bread, frozen meatballs, and a jar of marinera sauce.  No chopping, no raw meat, very little hands on prep.  I thought it was a winner.  Until I sat down to eat it.  One handed sub eating.... challenging:)
March 15 (239/365)
The Claw stuck around for a solid week.  I promise I will be more carful from now on when cooking!  And I promise to never cook on my anniversary again!

No comments:

Post a Comment