Friday, March 2, 2012

Busy B-day!

Growing up birthdays were a big deal.  I loved my birthday.  My mom had this crazy rule about no more birthday parties after you turned 10.  I managed to have my last "party" the year I turned 30!  Don't worry, it was at my parent's house.  My Favoritest does not share my love for the day of birth!  He pretty much sucks at celebrating birthdays.  I can say this because unless I email him the link to this he will not read this.  He claims he can't find the site:) 


His lack of celebratory spirit regarding my birthday has been a bone of contention since we moved away from family.  There is no one to take over for him and it shows.  Every year after my birthday I publicly announce that I will not be doing anything special for his day.  And then, I have guilt and feel the need to be a good example for Doddle and I go all out for his day.  This year was no different.  Up until the week before his big day the only plan I had was to get a sitter to take him out for a nice dinner.  Then we had boot camp, and Valentine's Day, and holy crap his birthday snuck up on me.  So on the day of his birth this is what I did:


Start the day googling recipes for apple cakes because he commented a couple of weeks ago he would like an apple cake.


Take Doodle to the Little Gym for an hour of fun!


Head to Wendy's for our Friday lunch.  While at lunch discuss with Doodle the plan to make Daddy a cake for his birthday.  We talk about the things we need at the store.  We also discuss ideas for a present for Daddy.  Doodle thinks he would like an Elmo toy.  This gives us the opportunity to talk about what Doodle likes vs. what Daddy likes.  We decide Daddy would like some clothes.


Go to Banana Republic to pic out some clothes for Daddy.  Doodle makes quite an impression on the salesman and earns herself a cool BR sticker.  We get present and head to grocery store!


Run through the store to gather ingredients for apple cake (with cream cheese frosting)


Arrive home. Allow Sesame Street to babysit Doodle while I prepare ingredients.  bake complicated cake with 3 year old.  Put cake in oven.  Put more TV on for Doodle.  While cake is cooking start dinner.  Turkey breast, glazed carrots, homemade mashed potatoes and gravy.  Big dinner for his big day!  Cake is finished, so is second Sesame Street.  Doodle is restless.  Get ingredients for frosting ready.  Check on dinner.  Convince Doodle to help make frosting.  She doesn't like frosting.  It is messy and sticky.  Start to frost cake.  My Favoritest calls, actually coming home early!  Slap frosting on cake. Cover cake and stash it in the corner for surprise.   Favoritest arrives home.  We eat dinner.  In the middle of dinner Doodle says "We make daddy a cake, but shhh! It's a prize!"  Finish dinner, clear table, light candles, sing, eat and then....
I PASS OUT!  Did I mention I am preggo and that was an exhausting 10 hours of my life!!!!!


February 17 (211/365)
A message to my Favoritest:  July 22, 2012 better rock out!

No comments:

Post a Comment