Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Black Out!

The Curly gang enjoyed a restful weekend spent together.  Sunday evening, a storm passed through and we lost power.  We have lived in our house for 2 years and have never lost power for more than a few minutes.  So after about 30 minutes, Doodle's bed time was approaching and I decided we better get serious about finding matches and flashlights.  Of couse, I couldn't find any matches.  After digging through my neighboring SisterWife's kitchen (she is out of town) I was still without matches, but did happen to find our lost house key and batteries!  My other neighbor finally pulled through and had some matches.  I came home and lit all the candles I could find.  I live with 2 dogs and a toddler.  My candles had a lot of dust on them!  They are all also scented, so after about 30 mintues, my house smelled like a cross between Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candle!  Anyway, it was a good thing I found matches and batteries because we didn't get our power back until 11:00 the next morning.  It was a dark evening at our house.  And I have a confession to make.... I am terrified of the dark.  I know, I need to grow up, but I have read one too many scary books and watched one too many Criminal Minds to get over my fear.  So although I am terrified, I have to say I enjoyed our evening off the grid on the edge of the grid (I did have my Iphone).  The weather cooled down, so our windows were open, the house was cool, and I sat in silence reading with a book light.  I didn't have a book on my Kindle so I had to go old school and actually read a book!  It was a peaceful evening.  I was captivated by the shadows from all the candle light.  And since there wasn't much else to do, I got the camera out.  Here is what I got.  I played with the "night vision" mode on the camera.  Kind of cool!
August 14 (24/365)
It was much more beautiful in color, but it was too dark for the camera to get anything and it was too dark for me to find my manual and figure out what I needed to do to fix the problem.  Anyway, I think it looks a little like a city skyline.  The tall skinny one is a drinking glass.  The turrets are our salt and pepper shakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment