Saturday, May 26, 2012

But I'm Just Too Little

I have posted before about Doodle being small.  She is 3.5 years old and weighs 24 pounds and is 34in tall (I think).  We are constantly walking a fine line between encouraging her to be independent despite her lack of height, and making sure she stays safe.  She is just starting to be aware that she is smaller than other people.  Sometimes it is in relation to us "mommy, you are taller than me", and sometimes it is in relation to her friends "mommy I am smaller than Jayburb".  Up until recently it has just been a statement of fact.  She hadn't realized that her height affected what she could and could not do.
During Doodle's spring break we spent a fun filled day at the Harrisonburg children's museum.  We went with a couple of our neighbors and the kids had a great day.  While we were there, I took this picture of Doodle.  She climbed up on the shelf, and because she is the size she is, she fit.  I remember thinking when I took it, "good thing you aren't much bigger".


April 12 (267/365)
That night as she was getting ready for bed, I was chaining her diaper (I know, we will get there someday) and she was chatting away. I can't remember what she was talking about, but she told me she couldn't do it because she was too little.  It was the first time I remember her realizing her height was limiting her abilities. It broke my heart just a little bit.  And the image of her sitting on the shelf popped in my head.  And I immediately started telling her that she could learn to do whatever it was she was talking about.  
I don't mean to sound melodramatic.  Being short is not the end of the world.  In fact it has it's advantages sometimes.  But, she is starting to realize that kids her age will probably be faster, stronger, taller, and bigger.  All kids are going to have their stumbling blocks and challenges, she is just discovering one of hers early in life.  Having been there, done that, I don't ever want Doodle to use it as an excuse.  I want her to be confident and strong and assertive.  I want her to problem solve and use her creativity to figure out how to get what she wants no matter how high above her head it is.   Those desires for my little Doodle force me to watch her struggle to climb in a chair, give me the patience to encourage her to pull the stool all over the kitchen so she can help me do chores, cause me to slow my steps so her little legs can keep up, and remind me to breath when she tries something a little dangerous and scary for the first time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment