Monday, January 16, 2012

Do You Know the Way to San Jose?

Months before we know of Poppy's existence, we planned a trip to San Jose CA to watch my cousin's oldest daughter become a Bat Mitzvah.  The plan was to meet Bubbie and Zayde in San Fran, drive to San Jose and spend the weekend with extended family, head back to San Fran and sightsee for a few days.  This sounded like a fantastic vacay.  Fast forward to the realization that I was going to be barely preggo, addicted to water, constantly yurpee, exhausted, and flying in a  plane for 5+ hours.  Reality was not looking so peachy!  But, I put on my big girl panties, packed our bags, drove to the airport and hoped for the best.  


For being a first time flyer, Doodle did great.  She was happy and content for the first few hours.  Then she fell asleep.  I thought we were lucky.  Then she woke up crying.  She felt hot, but we were on a plane, she could just be warm. At least that's what I told myself for the last 45 minutes of the flight that she slept/cried through.  Once we met Bubbie and Zayde, got our luggage, rented a car, drove to San Jose, and went out for supplies, we realized she was burning up with fever!  We are good parents, I promise:) Here's a picture of her before the fever kicked in!

December 15 (147/365)
Due to the fever, we spent most of Friday cooped up in the hotel.  Lunch was takeout from Arbys!  I know, how special.  As I dipped my curly fry into my ketchup I was greeted with another surprise smile. Between the fever and the time change Doodle slept most of the day.  My Favoritest stayed int he hotel with her so I could visit with my family.
December 16 (148/365)
Lucky for us Doodle was feeling much better by Saturday.  She was able to be at the Bat Mitzvah.  She smiled and cooperated for pictures, and even lasted through most of the service.  She enjoyed meeting her cousins and spending time with all of them.  What she really enjoyed was her first ever grown up party.  She even went shopping with Bubbie to pick out her dress.  She was a real party animal.  She managed to last at the party until after 10:00.  If the m&m's hadn't run out I think we could have made it another 30 minutes or so!  
December 17 (149/365)
So, I am not really sure which time zone I followed for this whole challenge of mine.  I guess the next picture might have been taken before midnight local time, but according to my camera it was taken on the 18th, so I am going with that:)This is our tuckered out party girl.  Clutched in her hand is the prized party favor.  A light up color changing, magic wand type thing.  She loved it!!!  She loved it so much that we had to take the necklace part of so she could sleep with it.
December 18 (150/365)
After a family brunch Sunday, we loaded everyone up and headed to San Francisco.  We spent a lazy afternoon at the hotel and all kind of recuperated from the weekend.  Monday morning we were up and moving early.  We headed to Muir Woods.  Bless Zayde's heart.  He is not the best driver in the world.  Riding in the car with him on a good day can make me sick.  Thirty minutes in the twisty mountains of CA while 10wks preggo was not looking promising.  To his credit, he only made me want to hurl a couple of times.  The weather was cool and damp, but the woods were beautiful.  Doodle, not so interested.  But due to the time change she was also ready for a nap at 10:30 every day:)  I took a ton of beautiful pictures, this is my favorite. My entire family ahead of me walking into the sunrise!

December 19 (151/365)
Following our visit to the giant trees, Doodle and I returned to the hotel to nap.  I needed it as much as she did:)  Bubbie, Zayde and my Favoritest headed out to Alcatraz (I went a few years ago).  Doodle and I met them at the warf where we saw sea lions, rode a carousel, ate dinner, and suckered Bubbie and Zayde into a Count Von Count finger puppet that would be lost (by Bubbie) less than 12 hours later, and replaced within 24 hours!  Tuesday morning we decided to go to a museum that everyone had raved about.  I think that on any other day Doodle would have loved it.  There was a small aquarium, rain forest filled with butterflies, natural science exhibits with stuffed animals.  Lots of cool stuff to explore.  Unfortunately, Doodle had reached her peak of traveling and was not interested in anything besides whining.  After having all I could of that, I took her outside where she had the time of her life chasing pigeons!  Go figure. I did manage to get a cool shot of her with the world though!  Please note, she is not looking at me, so you cannot see the sour look on her face!
December 20 (152/365)
The remainder of our time in SF was a bit of a toddler whining bust.  But not too disappointing since we headed to the airport early Wednesday morning.  

December 21 (153/365)
All in all, it was a great trip.  We saw family and spent time together.  Couldn't ask for a better week!

No comments:

Post a Comment