Sunday, July 3, 2011

Creeeepy Crawlers!

I always tell people that Virginia has more wildlife and bug life than I ever saw in good ole Georgia.  Today, I got some of the creepier residents on film.  But, if you know me, you know this didn't happen without some adventures.  After a long afternoon yesterday including a parade, festival, and staying up late for fire works, the whole family got up to a late start.  After getting Doodle out of her bed (yes she stayed all night) and putting her in our bed with a half awake Favoritest and Elmo, I went down stairs to deal with the four legged beasts that live in our house.  As I walked past the mirror in our bedroom, I was reminded why I don't go to bed with wet head....Flock of Seagulls!  Anyway, I went down stairs, got the dogs their food, fed them and let them out.  This involved opening the back door at least 3 times.  While tending to the furry two, I noticed a tiny baby praying mantis on the grill.  I was very excited to take a picture of the little guy, so I got the camera and went out the back door.  As I closed the door, I remembered how STUPID the lock on our door is (Landlords: we love our house).  You can turn the knob inside the house, even if the door is locked.  This has resulted in many, many lockouts.  The most recent of which occurred this morning while I sported serious bed head, pajamas, and a camera.


So I started banging.  The dogs started barking.  I banged some more.  The dogs barked some more.  Did I mention my Favoritest was only half awake when I went down stairs?  I banged harder.  The beagle ran upstairs, and Zoe barked louder.  I moved from banging on the glass to pounding on the door.  The beagle didn't return.  Zoe stood and the foot of the stairs barking up the stairs then looking at me.  A man took his garbage to the trash can.  I smiled and waved and banged some more.  Finally, my Favoritest stumbled down the stairs and opened the door.  He laughed at me and went back upstairs to watch Elmo go back to sleep.  I went to put the camera away, and then remembered about the baby praying mantis.  So I went and took a few pics, making sure to unlock the door.  



As I came back in, I was greeted by this:
Please do not be distracted by the amount of dog hair! Look at the bug!  I ran the vacuum  right after I took this picture.


It was up high on the wall, and I was a little worried about it.  Then it fell on the ground and was quite the fast crawler.  Not at all sure what it is.  I took a picture and stomped it with a shoe (one belonging to my Favoritest).   Here's hoping tomorrow is without such morning adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment