Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

Sorry I have dropped off for a few days!  I didn't totally loose my steam, just been busy.  And OBSESSED!  Last week I posted about being so ADD that I got nothing done.  At the end of that post I mentioned that sometimes my ADD makes me hyper focused on a task.  It is a feeling that I can't do B,C, or D until I finish A.  And that is what has happened over the last few days.  I became so obsessed with a project that I have done little else.  After taking these pictures of Doodle climbing into her crib, my Favoritest and I decided that it was time to convert the bed.


Since he worked all last weekend, the change got put off until this weekend.  I have had a toddler sized comforter for months.  It was bought with the intention of making a duvet cover to use when we converted the crib.  So Thursday I went to the fabric store, got some great fabric, met a friend for lunch, picked Doodle up, and came home.  


Once she was in bed, the obsession began.  I ripped two of her bumper pads apart so I could use the fabric.  I planned it all out.  Sent photo texts to a friend for consultation (of course she was at work and I was left hanging for a while).  By the time Doodle woke up I had a plan.  The good news is that since I was obsessed, I did a lot of talking about the very special blanket that I was making for Doodle's new big girl bed.  She watched a little extra Elmo and I made friends with the seam ripper.  I'm sure I fed her dinner, but I don't remember what it was.  I only had eyes for Duvet!   


Before reading the rest of this post: Please, don't get any crazy ideas about me and my sewing past.  I have made 1 pair of pj pants, a dress for Doodle and a half finished skirt for myself. 


As soon as she was in bed for the night, I went to work with the sewing machine.  I worked and toiled and sewed and ripped our a few newly sewed seams.  At 1:30 AM, I realized I had not cleaned the kitchen and that I had to quit.  I couldn't see straight.  I also had hit a bump in the road.  I suck at math and the ends of Duvet were a couple of inches short.  Since I was so exhausted I could not come up with anything.  I went to bed. 


At 6:30ish when my Favoritest's alarm went off, I rolled over and my first thought was "Why do I feel hungover, I didn't have anything to drink".  Then I remembered I stayed up way past my bed time!  Then Duvet took over and all I could think about was how was I going to fix the problem!  I ended up adding some fabric to the bottom.  I had several choices and decided to let Doodle choose.  It is her blanket after all!  The morning was spent at the pool with friends.  Once again, as soon as Doodle was down for a nap, I was back to work.  By the time she woke up, I had a finished product!  She watched Sesame Street while I sewed on buttons and talked about the special blanket for Doodle's new big girl bed!  


This morning, My Favoritest and I took the plunge and converted the crib to a toddler bed.
We took one last picture of Doodle in the crib!
Put her and all the "frwends" in our bed with her babysitter Elmo while we went to work!
One toddler bed with homemade Duvet cover ready for a sweet Doodle
Doodle checking out her new big girl bed! 
As I write this post, Doodle is taking a nap in her new bed.  Tucked in with all her "Frwends", her paci, her new special blanket, and stern warnings not to get out of bed!  So far so good!


Here are some up close shots of Duvet incase you want to be really impressed:)
Pink and white fabric is the bumper pad that i deconstructed.  This is also the piece that I had to add because of my bad math!  The pink ties were also take from the bumper pad.  The buttons are just for show!

Top part of Duvet.  I love this!  Also, please not the small pink bit of fabric on the very edge.  That is the piping from the bumper pads.  I had to add it to either side to make Duvet wide enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment