Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mayhem and Mornings!

I have long maintained that beginning at 5:30, if we are in our house, Mayhem is going to arrive.  It doesn't matter what I do to prevent it, prepare for it, or ignore it.  Mayhem comes to visit.  And it ain't pretty.  In our house, Mayhem's arrival is usually marked by our friendly fat beagle.  Beginning when Doodle comes downstairs from her nap, the beagle begins whining for dinner.  He increases his annoyingness as the afternoon progresses.  He whines. He cries.  He begs.  He barks.  He picks up his bowl and throws (okay pushes) it across the kitchen.  Yes, I am talking about a dog.  When this behavior reaches a crescendo, Doodle begins whining that she is tired, hungry, needs help, anything to increase the volume and level of neediness in our small living area.  All the while, I am trying to get dinner cooked and constantly looking at the phone willing it to ring with the "I'm on my way home" call.  (That call usually doesn't come until we are 2/3s of the way done with dinner by the way).   I wish I could say Mayhem leaves with the arrival of dinner,  but it doesn't.  Mayhem just settles in while we dine.  Dinner is followed by the mad dash to convince our 3 year old to clean up her toys, clean the kitchen, let the dogs out, give Doodle her meds, let the dogs in, bathe Doodle, read, rock & sing, say shema, talk to God, and put the kid in bed!  I am exhausted just thinking about it!  And just when I think I/we are done with Mayhem, I come downstairs to find this.....
September 11 (52/365)
This, is the fat beagle begging for "greenies".  Which we don't have.  We haven't had them in over a week.  Don't tell him that.  He sits in front of the washer looking longinly up at the shelf where the delectable treats once lived.  He will sit there whining and wimpering for as long as we can take it!  If we close the door, he stays in the closet.  If we make him come out, he lays down in front of the door with the most pitiful face you have ever seen.  Finally, one of us puts a leash on him and puts him in doggy time out.  And then we usher Mayhem out the door!


After evenings like the one described, mornings like this are even more rewarding.
9/12 (53/365)
This picture was taken after an early morning run.  As we stood there looking at the beauty of the morning with only the sounds of nature and an occasional car, I was reminded why I like this running thing.  I cherish the adult time to talk about nothing and everything.  I (who can't stand to be in a quiet room) relish the silence of the early morning.  I crave the 5 minutes my house is silent while I put on my shoes and reflector vest.  I look in awe at the amazing starry sky and can't believe I am lucky enough to see a million stars.  It is so not about the health benefit.  It is completely about the benefit to my mental health.  I don't care how far or how fast I run.  I could care less about a planned route.  All I want is my time!  This morning "me time" helps me deal with Mayhem and all his nasty friends throughout the day! Hopefully I will remember this in January when it is freezing cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment