Monday, September 12, 2011

Run Curly! Run!

Right after we moved to C'ville in 2009, I was brainwashed into thinking I could be a runner.  Sisterwife and Landlord convinced me it would be "fun" to run in the Charlottesville 10 Miler.   I once told someone the only thing I ran for was the bus, and only then if I was going to be late for class!  But somehow they prevailed.  For about 6 months we ran.  We ran Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday mornings... at 5:00ish. We ran in the rain.  As the weather turned wicked cold and LOTS of snow came, we ran in the snow.  We ran, and ran, and ran.  I enjoyed it.  It wasn't bad.  Then it became an obsession.  It took every being in my body to get out of the bed.  I refused to quit.  For once in my life, I was going to set a physical goal, and I was going to achieve it.  I did!  I ran the entire mountainous 10 miles.  It was a beautiful day.  My parents, My Favoritest, and Doodle were all at the finish line cheering me on.  Maybe I WAS a runner.  
Then, I had allergy troubles and took a couple of weeks off.  Then I had some hip troubles and took a couple more weeks off.  Landlord had really become a runner (like headlamp and a cool visor real runner), and I quickly fell out of her league!  Then Sisterwife had some foot troubles, so in a move of solidarity I took some more time off.  The true end came when Sisterwife got knocked up.  It was all over for me then.  By this time, Landlord had continued to run and was miles and miles ahead (literally) of my pace.  I was really okay with it.  I didn't really think I was a runner.  It seemed a little too healthy and tree-huggery to really be me.   So I quit.  I enjoyed waking up at a reasonable hour of the morning.  My only regret would come when someone would ask if I was still running.  I would  mumble out the string of excuses and change the subject.  But really, overall, I was okay with it! 
A few weeks ago Sisterwife and I decided to lace up our shoes again.  We left at 5:30.  We had no planned route.  We walked and slogged (slow jogging).  We chatted.  We came home.  And at about 6:30, as I was enjoying my post workout endorphines, I started to think that maybe I was a runner after all.  I'll keep you posted!
August 29 (39/365)

No comments:

Post a Comment