Sunday, April 14, 2013

Back From the Pitty Party!

It's hard to believe, but we have been in the Pitty for almost 6 months. This post has been written and rewritten in my head about 4 times. I intended it to be a sort of "how we doin" kind of post. The idea for this sort of check in came when I went to feed the dogs and saw this sitting at the landing of the stairs leading to the basement.

 

 


Seeing these 2 VA license plates discarded at the top of the stairs was like seeing a door slamming shut on our previous home. I couldn't get the image out of my head, so I had to take a picture. At the time, I handled the whole door closing on the past thing okay. After all, it was just 2 pieces of metal! And it had taken my Favoritest 3 trips to the registration place to register my car in PA. I was already to write a post about how we are settling into the Pitty. How we are slowly but surely making friends. And how the winter hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought. Over all....
So..... This was started 3 months ago. Oooops! I guess things have been a little crazy around here. And I'll be honest, I wasn't in the spirit of blogging the last few month. I also wasn't ready to be really honest with myself and those of you who might be reading this.
The truth is, when I started this post back in January, I was in a pretty dark place. Between the weather, the only sort of happy baby, my Favoritest's hours, the clinging baby weight, and frustration at our living situation, I was in the middle of a giant pitty party!
My first reaction when I get overwhelmed by life, work, kids, etc. is to figure out the one thing I can take control of immediately and work on fixing that. This is a strategy that has worked time and again for me, regardless of how big or small the problem. So, that is what I decided to do. Looking at that list, the only thing I could control was the clinging baby weight. I know I am good when determined, but I knew I couldn't control the weather or my Favoritest's schedule! Weight loss in itself seemed overwhelming. But encouraged by a new friend, I crossed the threshold of my old stoming grounds.... Weight Watchers.
And so for the last few months, I have taken some time to make myself a little happier. I have started exercising again. I give the neighbors quite a show while I play Just Dance 4 on the Wii! Sometimes I even sneak in a jog... outside... by myself! I have taken time for myself. It is working, and I don't just mean the weight loss. I am down 23 pounds. But I am up in every other way. By taking control of that one thing, everything else seems to have fallen into place. So... back to the original point of this post,
How we doin? I think we are doin pretty damn good! SJ is almost a happy baby! My Favoritest's schedule seems to have evened out a little bit, and he has learned to say no and to leave early when I need to do something. I am becoming very involved in our Temple and the preschool. I am building friendships. We are looking at moving to an area of town closer to the Temple. And, although it has nothing to do with me, the weather has improved as well. We are enjoying the outdoors, and exploring the parks. So while Pitty ain't perfect, and it is far from home, it's getting better every day. And in my mind, I can see images of our family in the future, happy in the Pitty!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment