Thursday, January 3, 2013

8 Crazy Nights

When I was a kid, I remember awaiting Hanukkah with eager anticipation. I loved lighting the menorah. I loved opening one present each night all my presents on the first night of Hanukkah. I loved the latkes and the family and the time each night to be together. I loved having Bubbie come to school and teach my classmates about the holiday. I remember making menorah and dreidel shaped sugar cookies each year to take as a snack (before the days of healthy only school snacks).

As I got older, I loved giving presents. I remember the Hanukkah the year that Zayde was in Desert Storm. I was determined to make the holiday special for Bubbie. I spent all my babysitting funds to purchase Bubbie enough presents that she could have one to open each night. Of course, I was so excited to give her the presents I made her open them all in one night!

As I grew up and left home, Hanukkah lost some of its luster. The glow of the candles didn't seem quite so warm when I was the only one home lighting them. More often than night, I forgot to light them each night. When Doodle was born, I was determined to make the holiday special for her. Thankfully, Sisterwife and the boys also celebrate Hanukkah and we started a tradition of frozen latkes (we are lazy) and pizza for one night of Hanukkah. Last year, the holiday season was full of hustle and bustle, travel, and first trimester exhaustion and worry over SJ. We were on the go so much that we used and iphone app to light candles one night. I know, a little sad.

This year, I am proud to say, the magic and warmth of Hanukkah was in full force in the West house! This was the first year that Doodle understood anything about Hanukkah and wasn't terrified of the candles. She was excited to light the menorahs (3 of them each night to be exact). She loved opening presents, and was just as excited to see what was in her packages as what was in SJ's. I found lots of joy in watching her enjoy the holiday! Here are some pictures from the fun with had with friends and family near and far!

We spent the first night of Hanukkah at New Sarah's house. She outdid herself and stuffed us all with matzoh balls, homemade latkes,brisket, and green beans. Doodle and Boo ran around like wild banchees from the minute we arrived until the tearful goodbye! Bear hung with the big girls for most of the night, and SJ slept. After dinner, the girls put on their jammies and we lit candles together. I love that Doodle is dressed for the tundra and Boo is ready for a siesta on the beach!
Thanks to technology we were able to FaceTime with Bubbie and Zayde one night. We lit candles together and then they got to watch Doodle open her present. I love that even when they are so far away, they can be part of our daily lives!

Doodle trying out her new dance mat while holding SJ's new toy.

The remaining nights of Hanukkah were filled with lots of merriment. We went to a Hanukkah at preschool. I only managed to take a couple of pictures and they weren't so good. The kids sang some songs. My favorite were their additional verses of "Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel". They included such hits as

Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel

I made you out of mud

And when I tried to spin you

You landed with a thud

The kids helped to write them and they were really cute!

The last night of Hanukkah was a bit hectic at our house. We spent the morning at the National Aviary (my own personal hell, and pictures coming soon). My Favoritest broke his phone and promised Doodle she could go with him to get a replacement. By the time they fought the holiday crowds and got home, it was almost 8:00 at night. I decided that rushing through Hanukkah was just not worth it. We decided to light our candles in the morning.

This allowed Murphy (out elf) the perfect opportunity to bring us a special treat for breakfast. Donuts and pastries from the bakery.... yummy!




We filled the menorahs and lit all the candles.

And Doodle opened her presents and SJ's presents.

And yes, we gave Doodle a real "step-a-scope" as a Hanukkah gift. She couldn't have been more thrilled! The best part about our Hanukkah Breakfast celebration is that Doodle had time to play with her presents. She didn't have to rush off to bed! It may not have been the most kosher observance of Hanukkah, but I wouldn't trade the memory for anything in the world!

As for SJ, least you think we ignored her, Hanukkah is just not a holiday intended to be observed by infants. She was asleep almost every single time we lit the menorah! Next year she will get in on the fun!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment